REPORT: Burnley V Blues


Birmingham City continue to stay unbeaten as Rowett’s men this weekend came away with a well deserved 2-2 result at Burnley.

Burnley are some bookies’ favourite to bounce back up to the Premiership, so Blues’ away performance was very pleasing.

Blues came into Turf Moor with recent visits at two wins out of three. The formation Rowett ran was 4-2-3-1. Kuszczak starting in goal, Caddis, Morrison (c) , Spector, and Grounds at the back, Gleeson and Kieftenbeld holding in the midfield, with Cotterill, Toral and Gray ahead of the defensive midfielders with Donaldson playing the lone forward.

First Half

As the first half began blues couldn’t get anything going. The home side Burnley looked very comfortable in possession. The hosts had a huge shout for a penalty five minutes in when Jonathan Spector apparently brought down Burnley striker Jutkiewicz.

Burnley seemed to be knocking on Blues’ door to score until a long ball was played up to Donaldson which his flick on laid Toral for half volley. The left footed strike put the away side ahead after only nine minutes. It was a complete goal from nothing, but it was exactly what we needed to get going.

Talking Point – Burnley feel they should have had a penalty early on.

After the opening goal Birmingham looked extremely comfortable in play and organised very well. 30 minutes in another great chance for Blues came to Cotterill 25 yards out who went for a left footed curling shot which beat the goalkeeper and bounced off the woodwork. By that time it should have been 2-0. Birmingham kept piling on the pressure onto nervy Burnley, five minutes before halftime saw the save of the game. A corner kick for Blues came out to Gleeson 35 yards out who sweetly hit the shot first time, but Burnley’s goalkeeper Heaton made a spectacular save to tip it over the bar. Another chance for Blues to make it 3-0. The teams went in at halftime with Birmingham leading 1-0.


Second half 

As the second half progressed the game became very entertaining end to end football. The 50th minute Blues gave away a very soft free kick just to the left side of the box. The dead ball situation was swung in where a flicked header met Burnley’s Keane running into the far post to level the home side at 1-1.

Immediately two minutes later Donaldson found himself inside the box at a tight angle, but his shot was saved well by Heaton stopping blues from taking the lead again. It was until 10 minutes later when Donaldson was one on one until he was tripped and earned Blues a penalty. In the 63rd minute Paul Caddis stepped up smashing the ball in the middle of the goal to bring blues back in front.

Burnley then stepped up their attack, pressuring blues for the final part of the game. Birmingham are well known for blowing there leads. Last year we lost a possibility of 20 points from leading the game, (which would of put us in playoffs) so the last 15 minutes was nail biting for Birmingham fans. The end to end game became even stevens in the 81st minute when substitute Stephen Taylor’s spectacular left footed curling free kick leveled the sides. Birmingham held on until the end to earn themselves a point away from home at Turf Moor. That point puts us in 5th in the early start of the season.

Our next game comes with another mouth watering friday night home game against another promotion favourite, Derby County. They have currently started the season poor sitting at 15th place and also being knocked out in the first round of the league cup last week at Portsmouth. I expect it to be another exciting game in store and a very important one for Birmingham especially, who are trying to show and prove they also have intentions for promotion.

How do you think next Friday’s matchup against Derby will end? Tweet us your thoughts or comment below.


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here