MATCH REPORT: Blues 0 Bristol City 1 – Home run comes to an end


Blues saw their 15 match unbeaten run come to an end in what was a poor match at St.Andrews on Saturday.

Blues went into the game on Saturday full of confidence off the back of two successive victories and were looking to extend that run against an inconsistent Bristol side.

Fans were surprised before the game had even kicked off after the eagerly anticipated return of Jota was put on hold after he was left out of the squad.

Blues started the slightly better of the two teams and had a few half efforts thwarted by Mäenpää in the opposition goal. The first real talking point of the game came at the midpoint of the half when Maghoma embarked on slaloming run in which he appeared to be tripped not once but twice inside the opposition half but had his protests waved away.

There was an apparent lack of composure and control throughout the first half and this was evident from the 30% possession that blues amassed first half.

The half rather petered out and the second half also began with the same flat tone in which the first half had set previously. The midfield pairing of Kieftenbeld and Gary Gardner were very ineffective throughout the game and it really showed as Blues struggled to take control of the game and set any real tempo in their play.

The sucker punch came on the hour mark when a whipped corner was met by Famara Diedhiou who’s header found the near post.

Blues continued to press with no little prevail and saw a further two penalty appeals waved away. The first of which Che Adams managed to wriggle away from his marker and went down under very minimal contact. The second and the much stronger of the two where he spun his man following a long punt upfield and was hauled down and look a certain penalty.

The forward two were very isolated all game and didn’t manage to open up a very resolute back line. It was a bad day at the office for blues who now go into a busy and difficult festive period with trips to Blackburn and Wigan followed by a home clash with Stoke.

Man of the match Kristian Pedersen.


  1. Awful game but that was probably the most cock eyed ref I’ve seen in a long long while. Two clear penalties waved away. That foul on Colin was a straight red. I wasn’t expecting Colin to get up from that. The players looked tired and lacked creativity. We really missed Jota. Bristol didn’t exactly look good and in all honesty a draw would’ve been a fairer result.


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here