MATCH REPORT: Birmingham City 3 Hull City 3


Che Adams scored a hat-trick, but it wasn’t enough to secure three points for the Blues, despite them being 2 nil up at half time.

The visitors were punished by Adams in the 20th minute when a short back-pass from Villa loanee, Tommy Elphick, sent Che Adams through on goal. Adams calmly took the ball around the keeper and slotted it home from close range.

Soon after in the 23rd minute, Blues were forced into an early change as right midfielder, Jota, had to leave the field of play due to a hip injury – he was replaced by Viv Solomon Otabor.

There were further chances for Blues to extend their lead, but they had to wait until time added on at the end of the first half for their second goal. In an attempt by Hull’s De Wijs to square the ball, Che Adams intercepted, and rolled the ball past David Marshall to make it 2 nil to Blues.

At the start of the second half, the Tigers came out fighting. Just 5 minutes after the restart, Campbell clawed a goal back. Just 10 minutes later, Campbell got his 2nd of the evening after collecting the ball from a Camp rebound.

Blues looked to respond instantly with a Lukas Jutkiewicz header, but the ball was clawed onto the post by David Marshall who was happy to see the ball go out of play.

An awful start to the second half got even worse for Blues. The Tigers turned the game completely on its head as Grosicki scored a wonderful free kick from 25 yards out. Lee Camp could only get a finger on the ball, but it was not enough to keep it out of the net.

Not long after, Grosicki could have added another to his tally, but his shot sailed into the Gil Merrick stand, much to the relief of the bewildered home crowd.

However, inform striker, Che Adams, showed what he was all about when he helped Blues snatch a point 6 minutes from full time. A looping ball in from Connor Mahoney created problems for the Hull defence in the penalty area. The ball fell to Adams who put Blues back on level terms, scoring his first ever Championship hat-trick.

In the end, Blues showed great character to get the equaliser, but questions remain as to why they found themselves chasing a draw after being 2 nil up. Hopefully, these questions can be answered during the inquest which will follow, and they can find a way to stop this happening again. Blues have the international break now to get back on track and ready themselves for a Villa-Park battle in just 2 weeks time.




Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here